The Order of Time - Carlo Rovelli
An exploration of time from a physics point of view. I read it as I'm getting older and wondered what the hell time is anyway. I'm not sure I found out.
- Time is relative. It runs at different speeds at different places. Up a mountain, it is slower. In space, it is slower still. It is also affected by speed. The faster something moves the less time passes.
- Mass slows time around it.
- Sun and earth fall around each other due to time.
- Gravity is time
- Speed slows down time.
- The only law of physics that is directional is heat.
- Always goes hot to cold, never the other way round.
- Seeking equilibrium. Entropy.
- Heat is the only distinction between past and future.
- entropy is order to disorder. But we are just relying on our perceptions. Order is relative.
- No distinction between cause and effect.
- No shared present, multiple overlapping present times.
- can overlap and circle back
- Time is a field, acted on by other forces. Can stretch and change. Time is granular, made up of Planck seconds- smallest divisible unit.
- Time exists in a superposition. Unsure of how it exists until it interacts with the world.
- Therefore the past, present and the future are indeterminate
This page modified on 1 Jul 2021 at 19:30